You are familiar with all those commercials on television for chemical drain cleaners like DranoTM and Liquid PlumrTM. You may have thought about using them instead of hiring a professional to handle clogged drain repair in Reno, NV. At first, you may think it is cheaper and faster. It is true you will spend less in the short-term, but they can’t do everything. There are good reasons not to use them, too. It may be better for your long-term finances and health not to use them. Not to mention, your family’s health and the environment, too.
Chemical Drain Cleaners are:
Toxic Enough to Blind or Kill You
Have you ever read the warnings on chemical drain cleaners that say “harmful or fatal if swallowed”? Well, they mean it. If you swallow it, you will very likely become very sick or die because it will eat away at your insides. If your skin gets into contact with it, wash it off with water as soon as possible to avoid burns. If you get it in your eyes, wash them out with water because it could make you blind! The bottom line is that they are poison, especially when a drain opener contains sulfuric acid. Do you really want something that can kill or blind you so close to your family?
Most of them contain lye, also known as sodium hydroxide. It’s also used to make soap. While it’s not dangerous when a professional is working with it, it’s still poisonous. It can turn room- temperature water up to 200°F and also creates strong toxic fumes. You are literally dumping toxic waste down the drain. This is why your kitchen smell like a toxic waste dump.
Do Not Unclog Every Drain Every Time
While they might prove effective on small hair or oil clogs, they are much less effective on larger ones. Always dumping containers down the drain is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Sometimes they can actually make things worse instead of better!